Sunday, November 6, 2011

Prosocial Behavior: Education



Complete opposite of antisocial behaviors are prosocial behaviors. “Prosocial behavior includes behaviors and positive qualities that we want to encourage in our children and our society: cooperation, altruism, sharing, love, tolerance, respect, balanced nutrition, contraceptive use, personal hygiene, safe driving, improved reading skills, and so on” (Straubhaar, LaRose, and Davenport, 2008). Although my recent posts have discussed the negative affect media can have on society, there are many positive behaviors that come from media influence as well.

Informal education efforts are seen through a plethora of shows. Children have endless amounts of opportunities to become educated inside and outside of the classroom. Shows like Dora the Explorer, Bob the Builder, Blue’s Clues, etc. have a positive effect on the youth. Not only are the shows entertaining for the children but also they are educating them without the kids even realizing they are learning. It brings joy to me when my niece gets excited about Dora the Explorer. She has learned a tremendous amount of information simply from the media. This particular show teaches a foreign language and touches base into simple science. There are other television shows that help ready the youth for school in different ways! Regardless of what show is being watched, knowledge is being gained.

Distance education is reflected by an older genre. “Television is a familiar distance learning medium for college students at large universities who watch lectures live or on tape via closed-circuit television or cable systems in their rooms” (Straubhaar, LaRose, and Davenport, 2008). I know through personal experience with online classes that I tend to learn more from online lectures than I do in class. For some reason when I am in a large environment I get easily distracted, but with online lectures I can watch on my own time with zero distractions. It seems like virtual school is becoming more and more popular.

Education isn’t the only prosocial behavior that can come from media influences but it is definitely one that I found most beneficial. It is easy to look for the bad that comes out of media before trying to find the good, which is why I truly believe that the positive influences get overlooked. I definitely think that society is influenced by what they see through the media whether that is a positive experience or a negative one. I just hope that people can find the good in the media and continue to reiterate those positive outlooks for our youth.


Source: Straubhaar, J., LaRose, R., & Davenport, L. (2008). Media now:

Understanding media, culture, and technology. (6th ed., p. 428-430).

Boston, MA: Wadsworth.


No comments:

Post a Comment